21 Oct 15:30 — 16:00
About the session
How do we start sprinting effectively? Many Scrum practitioners are familiar with the journey of sprinting and continuous improvement. How we start a new team delivering quality software every iteration is something less recognised.
Here I'll share the lessons learned arranging my first Sprint 0.
I’ll explain how I used this technique to reset an existing team, and what elements to include to help teams eject themselves from the starting blocks of sprint 1 and race to the finish line.
This session is targeted at the following participants:
- Agile enthusiasts keen to understand what Sprint 0 actually is, and how it fits with sprinting without contravening the manifesto value of responding to change over following a plan.
- Scrum Masters and Product Owners looking to kick off a new squad, who are unsure how a Sprint 0 can help them build a collective starting point for the team.
- Any member of a Scrum team who has heard of a Sprint 0, but is unsure what it entails or why it could be useful.
- Agile Coaches, Product Owners & Scrum Masters looking to reset an existing squad following dynamic changes, who are unsure how a Sprint 0 can help them restart sprinting effectively.
- An overview of the definition of Sprint 0, their use in agile transformations and the relationship and differences between other sprint types such as delivery and design sprints.
- Providing possible reasons for wishing to hold and participate in a Sprint 0, comparing those against the speaker’s initial assumptions. Initially I assumed Sprint 0 was an activity for a brand new project, but in this case it provided useful for resetting a struggling team.
- Advice on what elements are relevant to include within a Sprint 0, based on what elements I both included and missed in this scenario.
- Sharing of experiences of running Sprint 0 sessions remotely, and the challenges of juggling existing team commitments and schedules complicated by distributed teams and remote working during the pandemic.
- Presentation of some key mistakes made during this journey as a set of confessionals to help others partaking in Sprint 0 activities
This session will be:
- Delivered: Live
- Recorded: Yes
Themes: Scrum, Sprint 0, Agile Learning, Scrum Mastery